Monday, April 27, 2009

* I originally started writing this on April 27, 2009.

Not all developed countries are created equal. On the surface, the UK appears efficient, with well-run businesses. In reality, it is bogged down with bureaucracy and inefficiency only slightly better than a developing country like Ghana.

In their private sector, these inefficiencies are best observed in the way they run their banks. This week, I had an an experience that highlighted this ineptitude perfectly. I lost my ATM card two weeks ago and called HSBC to send me a replacement. One week later, I received an envelope from HSBC. My card, right? I wish. These idiots sent me a letter with directions to contact a third party who would deliver my card. What-the-fuck?!

Now, I'm as aware of credit/debit card fraud as the next person (where my 419 brothers at?). It is important to protect one's finances from fraudsters. However, there's a tipping point, where a society overcompensates for this security, with very marginal (if not negative) returns; HSBC has crossed that tipping point.*Grunt*

No comments: